The Chapel of the Cardinal of Portugal
moncler mens jackets The basilica of San Miniato al Monte recently celebrated its 1,000th birthday. Dominating the view from one of the highest and moncler outlet store most scenic spots overlooking Florence, it is a jewel of Tuscan Romanesque architecture. A defensive wall built in haste by Michelangelo during the siege of Florence in 1530 surrounds the church complex, later completed by Cosimo I de’ Medici and made into a real fortress in 1553. Today, enclosed within that wall is the Porte Sante monumental cemetery where many famous Italians are buried, amongst others, Carlo Collodi, who created Pinocchio, painter Pietro Annigoni and politician Giovanni Spadolini. By contrast, inside the church although the basilica’s simplicity and elegance are moncler sale outlet striking and it proves to be a trove of artistic treasures that make the steep walk up moncler jacket sale the many steps more than worth the effort we find only one tomb, that of a noble churchman from a distant land. moncler mens jackets
moncler outlet On the side cheap moncler coats of the left aisle, the Chapel of the Cardinal of Portugal was commissioned by the King of Portugal, Alfonso V (1432 81), and built between 1461 and 1466. Known as “the African” because of his conquests in the north of the continent, the king had cheap moncler the chapel Moncler Outlet erected to house the tomb of his nephew, James of Lusitania, Cardinal of Portugal, who unexpectedly fell ill and died in Florence while travelling from Rome to Mantua in late August 1459. Only 26 years old, James, on his deathbed, had expressed the desire to be buried there. moncler outlet
cheap moncler jackets Praised by contemporaries as a pious man, James studied in Flanders and, in 1453, became Bishop of Arras in France. That same year, Pope Nicholas V appointed him Archbishop of Lisbon but, as he was still too young to take on those duties, he was initially appointed administrator in perpetuity of the archdiocese. Because of political moncler sale upheaval in Portugal, he was unable to return to Lisbon so, remaining in Italy, he governed his archdiocese from a distance. Following the death of Nicholas V in 1455, the new pope, Callixtus III, raised James to the position of a cardinal deacon of the Church firstly at the diaconate of Santa Maria moncler factory outlet in Portico Octaviae and then at Sant’Eustachio in Rome. Soon after, the Pope named him Bishop of Paphos, in Cyprus, where his brother John had married a princess. moncler outlet uk On the death of Callixtus moncler outlet III, James had taken part in the conclave that elected Pius II as the new pope and, in 1456, was appointed moncler outlet sale a Knight of the Order of the Golden Fleece, in The Hague. cheap moncler jackets
monlcer down jackets A masterpiece of the Florentine Renaissance, the chapel reflects the fertile collaboration between architects, artists and sculptors and their workshops, and encompasses a wide range of different techniques that produced unique and stunning results. The original moncler outlet online design was by Antonio Manetti, a student of Brunelleschi, but because he died a year after cheap moncler jackets sale James the project was handed over to Giovanni Rossellini for its construction and, for the sculptures, his brother Antonio Rossellino, whom Vasari described as “a most excellent, indeed marvellous, maestro in sculpture who was highly respected whilst alive and very famous after his death”. Square in shape with arched recesses on each side, https://www.newmoncleroutlet.com the chapel is entered through one of the four arches. The cardinal’s tomb, with its sarcophagus mounted by a full length effigy of the deceased dressed in his cardinal’s mitre and an elaborate dalmatic befitting his station, was the work of Antonio Rossellino. The porphyry backdrop behind the tomb, which was once moncler outlet jackets decorated in gold, and the figures in white marble reminds us of his royal lineage. Above it, there is a tondo of the Madonna and Child surrounded by four angels, whilst, below it, the base is decorated with an intricate symbolic frieze and a Latin inscription dedicated to the cardinal. The drape on which the cardinal’s body lies is held on each side by two precariously seated “putti” monlcer down jackets.